(Nearly) Entire Tucson City Council Endorses Carmona

Richard Carmona’s campaign has announced that the entire Tucson City Council has endorsed him.

And by that they mean six council members, even Republican Steve Kozachik. Here is Kozachik from the release:

Karin Uhlich notes that Carmona believes that “government should not interfere with the private medical decisions between a woman and her doctor,” a statement likely made to blunt the questions raised by Don Bivens’s campaign about Carmona’s commitment to reproductive choice.

By the way, the Carmona folks don’t seem to be counting among members of the council newly sworn in Mayor Jonathan Rothschild, who has yet to endorse. Maybe they haven’t read the city charter.

Full release after the jump.

BIPARTISAN TUCSON CITY COUNCIL UNANIMOUSLY ENDORSES RICHARD CARMONA

All six leaders from across Tucson enthusiastic about Army veteran’s run for Senate

Tucson – Today all six members of Tucson’s City Council endorsed U.S. Senate candidate Richard Carmona, a combat-decorated Army Special Forces veteran and the former Surgeon General of the United States, citing his lifetime of service to our country and community. Shirley Scott, Richard Fimbres, Karen Uhlich, Steve Kozachik, Regina Romero and Paul Cunningham each offered their enthusiastic endorsement of Dr. Carmona.

“Rich Carmona has overcome significant obstacles in order to achieve success in our country,” said Regina Romero, who represents Ward 1. “He is an example to our children who demonstrates that hard work, education and a commitment to community can transform your life. As a councilwoman, a former youth organizer and a mother, I am proud to endorse Rich Carmona, and look forward to calling him my Senator.”

“I know the pride that comes with having served in the US Army Reserve as a medic, so I have deep respect for the courage and bravery shown by Rich Carmona,” said Councilman Paul Cunningham, who represents Ward 2. “He earned two purple hearts and two Bronze Stars risking his life for his fellow soldiers, and his commitment to doing the right thing is second to none.”

“Dr. Carmona’s commitment to public health tells us all we need to know about his integrity,” said Karin Uhlich, who represents Ward 3. “He stood up to political pressure when he released a groundbreaking report on the health risks of second-hand smoke, prioritizing our nation’s health over partisan politics. His commitment to public health informs his belief that government should not interfere with the private medical decisions between a woman and her doctor.”

“I ran a successful Arizona small business for years, so I am looking for very specific qualities in a US Senator, ” said Councilwoman Shirley Scott, who represents Ward 4. “Those include discipline, an understanding of our economy, and a commitment to the well being of all families, not just those who have achieved financial security. I find those qualities in Dr. Richard Carmona.”

“Richard Carmona has the ability to make change. I watched him do it in Pima County, Arizona and nationally,” said Councilmember Richard Fimbres, who represents Ward 5. “In the fields of law enforcement, public health and highway safety, Richard Carmona has showed his commitment, knowledge and expertise in providing solutions for our community. I am excited that Richard Carmona is running for the U.S. Senate.”

“I’ve worked for the University of Arizona Athletics department since 1988,” said Steve Kozachik, who represents Ward 6. “It was through that employment that I met Dr. Carmona. His personal story is absolutely compelling and speaks to a man of great character — a self-made success story who has been deeply invested in our community since earning his Masters in Public Health from the University of Arizona the year I began work for Athletics.

“Prior to being named Surgeon General, ‘Doc’ worked as a professor of surgery, public health and family and community medicine at the University of Arizona. I got to know him at that time through his work with our student athletes.

“Consider his parents coming from Puerto Rico and moving to New York City, where he dropped out of high school, earned a GED through his service in the U.S. Army, served in Special Forces, and then beginning his career in medicine, ultimately reaching the pinnacle of that field when selected to serve as the United States Surgeon General under President George Bush in 2002.

“I know Dr. Carmona as a man of integrity, a high achiever, a man of compassion for the underserved and a man who has been giving back to the Tucson and Pima County for decades. Since he is running for the U.S. Senate as a Democrat, from a political standpoint, I don’t have a dog in that fight.

“And yet, from the standpoint of wanting to see a person emerge from that primary who I believe would best represent us with a set of values that very much mirror my own, I most certainly have a dog in that fight. Dr. Carmona is Southern Arizona’s own local hero. I’m honored to be associated with a person of his caliber.”

“I am deeply grateful for the unanimous support of my hometown city council, and even more grateful that they’re working hard to help me win this election,” said Dr. Carmona. “Arizona is my home, and the support of bipartisan leaders like these means a lot.”

Dr. Richard Carmona confirmed his plan to run for the U.S. Senate a few weeks ago. A formal announcement is planned for after the holiday season.

1. Bored Bureaucrat wrote:

I’ve read the city charter. The Mayor isn’t a member of the council. The Mayor is the Mayor. His (or her) powers aren’t the same as those of a council member. They can do things he can’t, like make motions, or vote to fire the City Manager. He can do things they can’t, like chair meetings, or declare a state of emergency and command the police.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink
  2. terese dudas wrote:

Sorry, Carmona doesn’t cut it with me; too whishy-washy for my taste. No real balls, which we need in the coming years.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink
  3. Jodi wrote:

I wanted to see Carmona run for Pima County Sheriff.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Tell me more about his positions. His credits are amazing. There may be attractive substance in the man in the role of a senator. The positions on issues will make up my mind.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Permalink
  5. g lenn wrote:

I’m concerned he is a little trigger happy.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Permalink
  6. dude wrote:

Anyone who took on the flat-Earthers in the Bush administration from the inside probably doesn’t lack much in the courage (or “balls”) department.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 11:52 am | Permalink
  7. Republitard wrote:

If he had any balls, he would be taking on the liberal axis that has been running things for way too long. Johnny Rothchilds, and his Clowncil have reduced this community to a smoking ruin. What is Sixgun Carmona going to do about that?

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink
  8. Walt Stephenson wrote:

I talked with Steve and his Executive Director . She stated Steve told the interviewer he was not endorsing Carmona. The paper chose to disregard this. According to Steve’s Executive Director he did not endorse Carmona. Please call his office and verify this before you run with it as it degrades your BLOG to misstate the truth

Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 10:18 am | Permalink
  9. Irish Blanks III (Revenge of the Sith) wrote:

Oh Walt, here you go again. First of all, Steve doesn’t have an Executive Director, he has a Chief of Staff, get the position correct. Steve endorsing Carmona didn’t come from this blog originally, it came from the press release above which bears the title, “Bipartisan Tucson City Council Unanimously Endorses Richard Carmona.”

If you think this information is flawed, you shouldn’t be blaming Tedski, you should be blaming the Carmona camp. Besides, Ted isn’t the only one to write about this anyways, as you’ve already alluded to.

My assumption? Steve DID endorse Carmona, and you just aren’t happy about it. How awful it must be to see your once rising star in the Republican Party down here fall from grace because you have all become so extreme and partisan that he wants nothing to do with you. Yeah, that must sting a little.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink
  10. Jodi wrote:

I heard it from Steve’s own mouth on the John C Scott show. He said he’s known Richard Carmona since the late 80′s and he doesn’t know a finer person. He also said that D or R shouldn’t matter.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Permalink
  11. Behind SK in Traffic wrote:

You do realize Steve Kozachik has a “Gabby Giffords Continues to Inspire” sticker on his car, right? (He really does.)

Maybe she inspires him not to be an idiot. I realize that’s a novel thing for a Republican these days, but it seems to be working out better for Steve K. than for poor Walt Stephenson, whoever he is.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Permalink
  12. Walt Stephenson wrote:

Irish,
    Do you know what can happen when you ASSume? Steve did something no Democrat would ever think of doing. He has known someone who is running for office in the opposite party for years and said good positive things about him. He never said that Carmona would make a better Senator than his Republican rival. It must have shocked the Democratic Party so much they took for granted he would endorse Carmona. He told the press and it is clearly in the press release. Steve is not endorsing Carmona.

Friday, December 9, 2011 at 10:26 am | Permalink
  13. dude wrote:

Hold on a second, Walt, a moment ago you said you had spoken to Steve K’s ‘executive director,’ why are you now suddenly relying on him not explicitly saying “I hereby endorse Carmona” in the press release Ted provided?

I mean, you did talk to him and his ‘executive director,’ right? Right?

Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Walt, where have you been all the times the Pima Co. Dem. Exec. Com. goes into a snit when a Democrat endorses a Republican? Dupnik has done it repeatedly, as have others. You really need to calm down. Besides, endorsements don’t win votes when they come from individuals. Group endorsements can carry elections.

Friday, December 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

One Trackback/Pingback

1. Rum, Romanism and Rebellion › Well, That’s Exciting on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 6:40 pm

[...] may remember that I posted a press release from Richard Carmona’s campaign which announced that the entire Tucson City Council, [...]