Author Jeff Biggers wrote a piece for Salon on the Tuesday election results. He includes a quote from George W. P. Hunt, the pro-labor progressive (even by today’s standards) who was governor of our state for most of it’s first two decades:
The working class, plus the professional class, represent 99 percent. The remaining 1 percent is represented by those who make a business of employing capital.
It will be a happy day for the nation when the corporations shall be excluded from political activity … and vast accumulations of capital cannot be employed in an attempt to control government.