Romero Returns Stegeman Donation

Regina Romero returned a donation from TUSD Governing Board President Mark Stegeman. This is from the letter she sent to Stegeman:

Thank you for your donation to my campaign. While I appreciate your support, I strongly disagree with your position on the Mexican American Studies program within the Tucson Unified School District and for that reason I am retuming your donation. I want to send a message to fellow Democrats and the public that allowing the dismantling of the Mexican American Studies program is an unacceptable affront to democratic core values.

1. Jodi wrote:

What a little “B word.” And who was trying to defend her as not being a zealot???? Being this rude to a friend, I’d hate to see how she treats her enemies.

Did Raul tell her to do it?

Boy, do I find this action by her as low as you can go.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Permalink
  2. Tucson Vice wrote:

Jodi, given your apparent level of political savvy, I’m not sure anyone on this blog really cares how low you find this action to be.

Anyway, the word you were eluding to was “bitch.” Way to keep it classy. Romero is a very nice person who (regardless of whether or not you agree with her politics) cares deeply about this community. She was correct to return the money, even if he is a friend. Her political beliefs must come first and this is simply proof that she won’t compromise her conscience for her friends or political allies.

Denounce her all you want, but remember this: she’s on the council, you are on the couch.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink
  3. Jodi wrote:

Stegeman is a good Democrat and I do like some Democrats like my Husband. He has problems with Regina and Raul too. There are people who live here that aren’t ” its all about me being Hispanic”, you know.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink
  4. 4thepeople wrote:

Nice to hear about a political candidate who is willing to stand up for her values. Lucky Tucson!

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

I thought it was a principled stand on Romero’s part. I don’t agree that Stegeman is anti-Democratic values although I disagree with his position on Mexican-American Studies. Romero expressed her position politely but clearly.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Permalink
  6. Walt Stephenson wrote:

How much did she return?

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink
  7. Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

We get it, Jodi. You’re a racist.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink
  8. Jodi wrote:

I’m not, but perhaps Regina is as she returns a contribution from a white guy because he has a different pov from her. Sounds racist to me.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Permalink
  9. Tucson Vice wrote:

Jodi, that might be the stupidest thing I’ve heard on this blog.

I can’t knock you for consistency.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Permalink
  10. acceptance is a two way street wrote:

I think that returning money from a fellow democrat is a divisive and unecessary move. What this shows is that to romero this topic trumps all other and important issues we face. We shouldn’t be fighting each other not at this critical time wouldnt the gop love to see infighting on this side too. And please, don’t resort to attacking my political savvy and intelligence if you don’t like what I am saying. I am of Hispanic descent as well so you can’t call me a racist either.

Friday, August 12, 2011 at 11:11 am | Permalink
  11. Julian Diller wrote:

@Walt, I see that she returned $200. Big time stuff.

Friday, August 12, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink
  12. Jodi wrote:

Thank you Acceptance! Finally someone who understands that resorting to calling everyone you don’t agree with a racist is irrational.

Friday, August 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

There you go, Jodi. That was a good statement, about racism in #12.

Friday, August 12, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Permalink
  14. Barbarella wrote:

Uh oh I must be a bad democrat I don’t know what our core values are. I always thought we were a hodge podge of values banding together to defeat the repression of the social conservatives and gaping jaws and voracious hunger of the corporate and military overlords in their plans to reduce most humans to subservient pawns. but what do I know I don’t claim to be a local political operative. for example I have not once gone to drinking liberally and that is like a rite of passage I hear. I guess my vote will have to do, unless my vote isn’t welcome based on the new party line? what’s a good intergalactic astronaut evil defeater to do?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 at 10:37 am | Permalink